Friday, September 25, 2009

Profile Description

My name is Patrick and I am a communications major at UHH. I intend to build a career in broadcast journalism focusing on radio. I also want to continue working in a news gathering organization such as a newspaper or magazine.

Since moving to Hawaii in 1999 I have become very aware of my relationship with sustainability. I am an adamant recycler. I propagate orchids and various fruit trees. I grow my own vegetables, herbs and spices and try to eat from my garden every day. I compost all natural waste.

I consciously changed my driving habits and sold my gas guzzling V6 truck and bought a four-cylinder environment friendly car.

My connection with Hawaii begins with my moving to the United States. I was born in Belo Horizonte, Brazil and moved back and forth to the US during my childhood. I returned to Miami after I finished my 11th year of high school in Brazil. I graduated and went on an eight-month trip around the United States. I eventually found my self in the North West, living in places like Portland, Oregon and Olympia, Washington. In 1999 my oldest sister met and married a man in Colorado who was from Waimea, here on the Big Island. I attended the wedding in Oahu. The bachelor party turned out to be a camping trip and hike through Waipio Valley. I fell in love with Hawaii and made the islands my home soon after. I originally moved to Kaua’i and earned a massage license. I lived on the east side of Kauai and worked as a massage therapist and a chef at a very popular restaurant for 5 years. In 2004 I moved to Big Island to pursue a career in media and earn a degree in Communication from UHH.

My physical location is sitting at my dinner table looking out big bay window towards the ocean. I finally found a great house in Papaikou.

I would like to achieve a clearer understanding of sustainability and how I can organize and implement it in this culture here in Hawaii and help me during my experiences dealing with the Brazilian culture.

As the Editor in Chief of the university newspaper I try to motivate students to investigate and expose what they feel is newsworthy within there own community. I push them get involved and not depend on mainstream media. I have recently been hired for the position of assistant program director for URH, the UHH radio station. I am interested in independent music and promote local musicians as much as possible. I train students who are inspired to produce their own radio shows.

The 11th hour reminds me of the power I have as a consumer. I will try to research the companies I support and become more conscious of the products I am purchasing.Also, as a citizen of two different countries I need to always take part in the election processes. I will continue to spread the word on corporate control over the energy crisis and maintain a high standard of conservation for my family and me.

The first step is to convince the major players in the financial world that reducing the strain on the planet can be a profitable and rewarding venture for a long-term business strategy.

No comments:

Post a Comment